Rosa Parks: Beyond the Bus

0

Posted by Mrs. Wells | Posted in Civil Rights, Culturally Relevant Teaching, Teaching Ideas | Posted on 12/01/2015

Rosa-Parks1

December 1st marks the anniversary of the bus boycott day led by Rosa Parks. This year is the 60th anniversary from that inspiring day of courage. In preparation for this day, Teaching Tolerance offered an outstanding webinar that I had the privilege to attend. This webinar provided me with excellent tools to implement in my classroom to teach to my students the importance of Rosa Park’s leadership in the Civil Rights movement.

1955_rosa_parks5

One of the key ideas that I took from this webinar, was that even though we recognize Rosa Parks as one of the leaders in the Civil rights movement, she did not act alone. There were a lot of other men and women that helped shape the movement. Among others, there were  Caucasian pastors and attorneys providing legal support and encouragement. The idea that is most relevant for the classroom though. is that it takes teamwork to accomplish a goal.

Some students sometimes believe that if they are not like a particular leader, they won’t be able to make any changes or to stand up for their what they believe in. The reality shows that big changes come from great leaders who are part of a group. So what the “Beyond the Bus” movement is trying to prove, is there are myths around the Rosa Parks’ story that need to be clarified. But above all, what I want my students to understand is that they don’t have to be politicians or rich and famous to promote action, or to be agents of change.

Rosa Parks was just a normal person, who was going home from work and by sitting down she stood up to change the world.

rosa_parks2

Write a comment

Skip to toolbar